Thursday, July 27, 2006

Garden Variety Summer

I have a secret.

Elisabeth is not my only child. For the past two months, I've been taking care of my "other" newborns. Yes, Elisabeth is close to her 1st birthday, and I am still actively contributing to her survival, but there are more. Tender and fragile, their very lives depend on my care. You may be familiar with some of these kids. Perhaps you've heard of...

Broccoli?

Tomatoes?

Peppers? Zucchini?

Yes, 300 square feet of real estate in my backyard is now a thriving vegetable garden. I've been meaning to tell you about it, but I just didn't know how to break the news.

Okay, photo time!


First, here is the layout of the space. Oops, I just realized I forgot the eggplant (between the cucumber and the broccoli). Oh well, it's not growing so well anyways. Also, the 'S' means shallots and the 'O' means onions.


Here is the full monty.


Daddy, where do broccoli's come from?


Yes, cucumbers scream when you cut them.


Not just tomatoes... San Marzano tomatoes. That's right cogliones!!!

We have already eaten tons of broccoli and a couple of cukes. Right now, I have dozens of tomatoes growing, some jalapeno and red bell peppers on the way, some zucchini, more cukes, and even more broccoli. I saw the first flower on the eggplant (it's about time) just this week. The cabbages and cauliflowers are growing slowly but surely. And the onions and garlic have been surprisingly viable. I'm sorry it took me so long to let you in on this, but I promise to keep you posted from now on!

1 comment:

Karyn said...

That broccoli looks delicious.

Don't you feel bad that you care for these tender, fragile babies for months and then you viciously take them away fom their habitat, slice them up, and masticate them?!?!?!