Wednesday, November 15, 2006

A Most Unusual Birthday

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that I seem to only have time to blog when I'm overseas?

Yeah.... That's what I thought. Given that, I'll give you one guess where my physical body currently lies.

Monday, November 13th, the anniversery of my entrance into the world, lasted a mere 17 and a half hours for me. You ask how that is possible? The answer is simple. At approximately 7:30pm EST, 39,000 feet above the North Pole, I crossed the international dateline, thereby skipping ahead into the future to November 14th. And who says time travel doesn't exist?

One of my favorite in-flight pastimes is to watch the map channel, where you can be endlessly entertained by watching the plane glide, one pixel at a time, onward towards your destination. All relevant flight stats (speed, altitude, distance, etc.) are, of course, displayed for your viewing pleasure. One of my least favorite in-flight pastimes is heading to the bathroom in my socks and having to maneuver around the puddles of urine left by unscrupulous co-passengers (What's so funny... everyone in Business takes their shoes off during the flight, okay?).

On this particular day, we were taking the polar route. As we neared the North Pole, some funny things started to happen to our plane on the tiny screen. As I watched the plane jerk about on it's axis, I couldn't help but think that I was glad that the on screen choreography did not match the actual flight experience.


Watch magnetic declination at work.


So it was that I was able to witness the approximate precise moment when my birthday ended. 4 and a half hours, sheared away in one brief moment. And thanks to this commemorative photo I snapped, you can follow along with me and share in my pain.

Watch this... Watch this here... Ready... Here it is... And... Bam! Boo yeah! That's what I'm talking about!


By the way, I should take this opportunity to welcome my Chinese friends to the 21st century. The ban on Wikipedia and my very own blog (okay, other blogs too) has been lifted and can now be viewed in the Middle Kingdom. Welcome to the planet.

No comments: