Friday, September 15, 2006

Day 15: The Forbidden City - Forbidden No More

At long last, I had reached my final day in China (for this time, anyways). My flight was scheduled to leave from Beijing Capital International Airport at 4:30 in the afternoon, so I still had over half a day to spend sightseeing before I had to go. When it comes to Beijing, two major historical attractions come to mind - the Great Wall and the Forbidden City. Having conquered the Great Wall, there was one obvious choice for this day.

The Forbidden City, or Imperial Palace ('Gu Gong' for all of you wannabe Mandarin scholars), was the residence of China's emperors from 1420 until the fall of the dynasty system in the early 1900's. Located in the direct center of old Beijing, many emperors did not leave these grounds at all throughout their entire lives. Like everything else in Beijing, it's big - really big. Check out this satellite photo. For reference, you can see Tiananmen Square (remember, 82 football fields big) in the lower half of the picture.

I arrived at the Meridian Gate (that would be the pay entrance) at about 9:30, which gave me about 3 hours to see what I could before I had to get going. I bought my entrance ticket, picked up an audio guide, and headed inside. The map they handed me with my ticket was all in Chinese, except for the title "Imperial Palace Museum Guide Map" at the top. That's helpful. Fortunately, the audio guide comes with one in English, even if many of the buildings weren't labeled. Each area of interest was marked with an LED light on the map. The audio guide was activated by proximity, so as I approached an area, the audio started. After I had visited a place, the light went out, leaving only the places I had not yet been to still illuminated. Technology is great.

The architecture of the Palace is simply stunning. There are hundreds of ancient wooden structures, all topped with intricately tiled golden rooftops. Staircases are ornately carved out of enormous slabs of marble. Bronze dragons glid the doors and walls throughout the palace grounds. The corners of each building are marked with a series of little beasts parading behind the emperor. The more beasties, the more prominent the building. With 11 such creatures, the most important of the buildings is the Hall of Supreme Harmony. This is where the emperor's throne is located, and where he would typically host important visitors and conduct matters of state.

Beyond the Hall of Supreme Harmony is the Gate of Heavenly Purity. This is the entrance to the inner court, where the emperor and his family lived. I explored around the various halls and palaces for quite some time. Many of the hallways were narrow, sometimes leading to another palace or courtyard. Sometimes there was only one way in our out of these places. It was easy to get lost. Many of the smaller, side buildings contained exhibits of various historical artifacts or cultural exhibits.


The Hall of Supreme Harmony



The Emperor's throne, inside the Hall of Supreme Harmony



The little roof beasties



Somewhere in the courtyard outside some important Hall


Behind the inner court was an elaborate garden. One area had a rock garden with many ornately formed rocks. To the north end of the garden was a large rock with a pavillion perched on top. This was the highest point in the compound. Frequently, the emperors and their wives would climb up to the top and look out over Beijing.

In advance of the 2008 olympics coming Beijing, the city is in the midst a massive facelift. Many of the structures inside the Forbidden City are part of this enormous restoration project. While some buildings sported a bright, fresh coat of paint, others were faded and cracked, with peeling paint and rotted wood to reveal the true age and character of this place. In all honesty, I preferred the old to the new. It just gave me more a sense of the history that these walls have witnessed.


One of the many garden pavillions




Evidence of the true age of the City


I spent three hours there, and only managed to hit the highlights. It would be easy to spend an entire day there if you wanted to be thorough. But I had a date with an airplane that I was intent on keeping, so I caught the subway back to the hotel to pack and check out.

I was running low on time, so I decided to abandon the bus-to-airport plan and take a taxi. I asked the concierge how much this would cost and was told 120-150RMB. I only had 120 left, so I asked her to ask the taxi driver if this would be enough. After a brief exchange, she told me that it was no problem - this driver would take me. She also explained that there was a 10RMB road toll near the airport that would be included in the price. I got in the taxi and we took off.

Feeling a little uneasy, I decided to tell the cab driver how much I had just to make sure it would be okay - in Mandarin, of course (no he didn't speak English!).

"I only have 120RMB. Is that enough?"

"It's enough."

"Thank you."

"No problem. Wahd ajfkda sjkdh jdhg jatkah sjfhkj fjkaslfkds fjka;f asja waur iwon dkgas ajk fhasfjslgai ghajkdskjfl......."

Uh oh...

"Sorry, my Mandarin is not very good. I didn't understand."

3 more rounds of this and the driver was finally resigned to the fact that I did not, in fact, really speak Mandarin. We hit the toll booth and he motioned for me to give him money. I handed him 10RMB and soon we reached the airport. Out of curiosity, I had been monitoring the fare meter to see how much the tally would reach on the trip. As we pulled up to the sidewaly at the airport, the meter stopped on 114RMB. I got out and handed the driver the last 110RMB that I had, certain that we had established the limits of my funding capability. He looked at me funny and waved his hands saying (in Mandarin) "4 Renminbi! I need 4 more Renminbi!"

I said, "I don't have any more! No more!" We both kept saying the same thing back and forth to each other until the driver just waved me off and just drove away. I shook my head, thinking that I couldn't have been clearer about my cash situation. I should mention that 4RMB is about 50 cents.

With no money for food, I was thrilled to be a business class passenger with access to the lounge and it's free food and drink ameneties. As I sat and filled my belly, I reflected on my time in the capital city. Beijing was big. And old. And full of tourist traps and people trying to make a quick buck off of the "rich American traveller." Lots of culture, in some ways tied to propaganda of the past, and in some, marching towards modernization. All in all, it's been great to have had a front row seat to the rebirth of a nation.

It had been an exciting adventure with plenty of memorable moments. I was glad I had come, but was somewhat "gladder" that I was heading home. I used the wireless internet in the lounge to post a brief trip update, with the idea that I would play catch up once I had arrived home. A month and a half later, here is the final post of this trip. Sorry it took so long, but I hope that the stories made you feel like you were there, so that, in some vicarious way, you could take part in my experiences. I don't mind traveling alone, but the one thing I do miss is having someone to share the moment with me. So in that sense, thanks for reading along with me.

I will be home in the States until November, but rest assured I have a lot to write about here until my next China excursion. I also have tons more photos from this last trip, so I might put together another photo gallery at some point. And of course, I'll have another installment of language humor. Until next time...

No comments: