Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Taipei's Night Markets- Shilin et al.

Taiwan is well known for its street markets, and rightfully so. The many outsiders who have inhabited Taiwan over the course of its history may be gone, but their contributions to the culinary landscape are undoubtedly left behind. Taiwan's street food is considered by many to be the most interesting and vibrant of all in the Chinese world.

As any self respecting food-obsessed traveler would do, I hit the streets to explore these local food traditions myself. All the research I did before arriving pointed me to the most well known of Taipei's markets - Shilin Night Market.

Approaching Shilin Night Market - Every street around here was packed full of people. I'm guessing Friday night probably wasn't the best time to check this place out.


Bubble Tea - From the looks of the crowd, I was going to need to keep my game face on if I wanted to keep pace. I decided to pick up a drink to keep myself cool and alert. An amazing variety of exotic fresh fruits were waiting to be blitzed into refreshing beverages. But here in the home of the bubble tea, my choice was clear. Sweet, marble-sized pearls of tapioca collect at the bottom of a glass of sweetened milk tea, waiting to be sucked up by the gargantuan straw.


Shilin Market Food Hall - The only indoor part of the market houses a cornucopia of dining establishments. This is where you can pick up well known classics like oyster omlets and stinky tofu. You know, if that kind of thing floats your boat.


I had my wallet in a stranglehold in hopes of keeping it from hitching a ride with some nice stranger who might happen to bump into me in the street.


Claustrophobes beware! If you want to get a good deal, you're gonna have to brave the sea of people. On second thought, is this stuff really worth the hassle? Among the flotsam and jetsam lie a few great deals, no doubt, but it can take some time to separate the wheat from the chaff.


These glazed strawberries and tomatoes certainly look appealing. It always surprises me when tomatoes are included on a dessert fruit plate after a meal, which is fairly often. You would think I'd be used to that by now.


Sugar Roasted Corn - After a coating of sugar is applied, these pieces of corn are grilled over a charcoal fire to carmelize the sugar into a candy-like skin. Sweet! How come I've never thought to do that?


There are sausages, and then, there are SAUSAGES. This one qualifies as a SAUSAGE, for sure. I mean, look, these beauties are bigger than that girl's arm. I love the Chinese title - "Big Sausages" is the translation, but the literal text says "big fragrant intestine." If that doesn't whet your appetite, I don't know what will.


Besides Shilin, countless smaller street markets dot the landscape of Taipei, making this type of shopping a part of everyday life for the locals. These next photos come from a different street market, close to the office I was working at. I did ask the name of this place, but I neglected to write it down so I'm afraid it will have to remain nameless for the time being.

Organ and Innards Assortment - I can always tell when a shop is geared towards local customers, rather than western tourists like myself. But with this cart, loaded with liver, testicles, and other such tasties waiting to be soupified, I just can't tell for certain...


Really, Really Fresh Chicken - Um excuse me sir, I think you forgot your chicken head. There was just something disturbingly humerous to me about the severed chicken head sitting there on the table, with the cage full of chickens staring back as they await their fate thinking, "Oh, crap."


Griddle Cake - These pancake-like treats are cooked up in small circular molds. I didn't eat one, but they sure looked good. Pretty sure these were organ free.


Bell Fruit or Wax Apple - These tropical tree fruits are limited to Taiwan and a few other (mostly southeast Asian) locales. They are crisp and crunchy, mildly sweet, juicy, and very light and airy in texture. They were a nice, refreshing snack to help beat back the heat of the day.

No comments: