Thursday, May 18, 2006

Man Down

They are trying to kill me.

There is no other explaination. They want me to die. THEY WANT ME TO DIE!!!!!!!

Seriously, how can one man eat so much food? It's not fair. It's not right.

Buffet breakfast, a ridiculous 12 course Cantonese lunch, and the kicker - all you can eat grilled meat at a Brazilian Churrascaria.

Of course, I forgot my camera in the office during lunch. I missed a great opportunity to capture the tableside preparation of traditional Peking duck. A whole duck with crispy brown skin comes out (with head, of course). The server cuts off all of the skin and wraps pieces in a thin crepe with some hoisin like sauce, green onions, and fresh red chili peppers. This stuff is out of control! We also had a plate of char siu - baby pig roasted until the skin is super crispy (see a trend here?). They serve this cut in to pieces, each with a little meat, fat, and skin. This gets dipped in sugar and then in a chinese BBQ sauce. There are also pieces of fat with crispy skin to eat too. We also had a dish of sea scallops and vegetables, some stir fried Chinese vegetables ("Oh, sorry, I don't know the English word for this"), whole flounder, beef short ribs, wok fried prawns with black pepper oil and other stuff I can't even remember. I couldn't stop eating, it was so good!

Dinner time - Brazilian Churrasco, all you can eat. I was set up for a classic double whammy. Imagine if you will, all the meat you can possibly eat. For $11. Swords of sizzling flesh arrived at the table at at a dazzling pace. Often times, I hadn't even eaten the last serving before more was finding its way on to my plate. Sirloin, rib roast, chicken wings, bacon wrapped beef and chicken, lamb, sausages, pork loin, ribs - an endless carnivorous parade of succulent morsels. And it was all for me (and everyone else in the restaurant too, I guess - but I digress). I ate a lot, and I am paying the price. It's worth it though. From now on in life, when I'm hungry, if I close my eyes and breathe deeply, I can imagine myself in that great meat paradise once again.


Yeah it's an apron - shut up! Things are going to get a little messy here.
.
Keep carving, gaucho. Hey, you're not Brazilian...

Walmart in China is an interesting place. All the signs are familiar, but most of the merchandise is not. Take the food section, for instance. I've been to Asian markets before, but this was taking things to a whole new level. Exotic fruits, unidentifiable dried meat things, frozen dumplings by the half-kilo, fish tanks with live sea life, and various... parts... of animals in the meat case (sorry Karyn - you may want to skip the last photo!) They also make Wal mart brand beer - $1.25 for a six pack. You know that's gotta be good! I snuck out my camera to snap a few photos I thought might be interesting. Hope you like them!


Dragonfruit - Looks exotic but tastes a lot like kiwi
.
Durian - Tastes like mangos, smells like &%#$. Yes, I tried it.
.
Look mom, dried meat!
.
Pork is apparently China's friend too. Even the feet and ears and face and...

2 comments:

Hollis said...

Oh my...I think you might need two seats on the plan on the way home!

Karyn said...

I hate walmart.